All jailbreak enthusiasts know that Cydia Store has been shut down by Jay Saurik. However, it is not the end of Cydia as only the store has been closed and recently Jay Saurik released an update for Cydia Substrate with complete support for UnC0ver Jailbreak. But, for those jailbreak enthusiasts who have been affected by the shutting down of the Cydia Store, finding an alternative has become affirmatory. Lately, Coolstar, the developer of Electra Jailbreak, has released the first public version of Sileo, which is a cool new Cydia alternative.
It can be considered as a modern alternative to Cydia. According to the Electra team, Sileo is quick and lightweight and is a perfect replacement for Saurik’s Cydia which has grown quite old by now. In this post, we are going to share with you the steps to download and install this amazing Cydia alternative on your jailbroken iPhone/iPad.
- 1 SILEO VS CYDIA
- 2 Can I Install Cydia Alternative Sileo on iOS 12/12.1 or above?
- 3 Requirements for installing Sileo (Cydia Alternative)
- 4 Download & Install Sileo (Cydia Alternative) on iOS 11.0-11.4 Beta 3
- 5 [Update] Sileo updated to v 2.2.1 [Bug Fixes]
- 6 [Update] Sileo v 2.2 Out of Public Beta [Stable Build Released]
- 7 [Update] Sileo v 2.2 Public Beta Released
- 8 [Update*] Download Latest Sileo 0.8b8 [0.8 Beta 8] for iOS 12
SILEO VS CYDIA
While the functionality of both is the same, the way that functionality is executed is completely different. This is what makes Sileo much better than Cydia.
- As compared to Cydia, the speed of loading tweaks and packages is much faster in Sileo.
- Sources are refreshed, almost, instantly in with the new ‘repo-uncluttered’ functionality.
- The user interface of is clean and neat looking. It, almost, gives you the feel of utilizing an application from the official App Store.
Therefore, we can deduce that Sileo is much better than Cydia in certain major aspects. However, before you go and install the same, please note that since this is a beta preview, some features and functionalities might not be present as of now. Bugs are expected in this beta preview.
Can I Install Cydia Alternative Sileo on iOS 12/12.1 or above?
Please note that there is no public jailbreak available for iOS 12 or above. Hence, Sileo, which is a jailbreak package manager, cannot work on iOS devices running on iOS 12 or above. If you find yourself on a webpage that claims to provide the iOS 12 compatible version of Sileo then don’t fall for that as it might be a virus-laden application meant to disrupt the normal functioning of your iOS device.
Requirements for installing Sileo (Cydia Alternative)
There are no special requirements for installing Sileo. All you require is the following:
- iPhone or iPad.
- Compatible iOS firmware.
- Electra Jailbreak or UnC0ver Jailbreak.
Compatible Firmware as of Now:
- 11.4 Beta 1,2, and 3
- 12.2 Beta 1,2 and 3
- Sileo IPA File Download (Non-Jailbreak iOS 12 Users).
Let us now proceed with the download and installation steps of Sileo on iPhone/iPad.
Download & Install Sileo (Cydia Alternative) on iOS 11.0-11.4 Beta 3
Install Sileo on Electra Jailbreak
- Launch Cydia and go to the ‘Sources‘ section.
- Please make your way to ‘Electra iOS Utilities‘ which is the default repository for Electra Jailbreak.
- Here, you can locate the Sileo(beta) package. Tap on ‘Install‘ and wait for the installation to complete. Thereafter, please tap on ‘Restart Springboard.’
- That’s it! The icon of the Sileo Jailbreak package manager will be present on the home screen of your iOS device now.
Install Sileo on UnC0ver Jailbreak
- Launch Cydia and make your way to Sources.
- Please tap on Edit -> Add and enter the URL of Pixel Omer’s repository which is http://www.pixelomer.com/repo.
- Now, via the Search tab please look for ‘Sileo Installer.’ With the aid of this package, you can utilize Cydia along with Sileo without any issues.
- Please tap on ‘Install‘ and press ‘Confirm‘ for the installation to start.
- After the installation is over, please tap on ‘Restart Springboard.’
- Now, you can run the Sileo jailbreak package manager from your device’s home screen.
[Update] Sileo updated to v 2.2.1 [Bug Fixes]
The development team of Sileo have released a secondary smaller update to Sileo updating it to v 2.2.1. The latest update features fixes for dpkg lock, local installs, cannot find archive errors, and “More by this developer.”
[Update] Sileo v 2.2 Out of Public Beta [Stable Build Released]
A few days back we witnessed the launch of Sileo v 2.2 Public Beta. Those who were eagerly awaiting the actual stable public release; can finally get their hands on the same. The official stable public release comes with all the new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes as were mentioned in the changelog of the public beta. Those who are already using the Sileo package manager can get the update populated by refreshing the installed sources.
Jailbreaks developed by Coolstar viz Odyssey and Taurine have Sileo pre-installed. Other jailbreak users can add the repository https://repo.getsileo.app to the existing package manager for downloading Sileo.
[Update] Sileo v 2.2 Public Beta Released
The public beta build of Sileo v 2.2 is here and seeing the big changelog, one can easily say that this version of Sileo comes loaded with new features. The biggie in Sileo v 2.2. Public Beta is that now Sileo officially supports all jailbreaks. Coolstar users can continue the same process of using Procursus to download Sileo. As far as other jailbreak users are concerned, they can make use of the repo https://repo.getsileo.app.
Following is the extensive changelog for Sileo v 2.2 Public Beta.
- Overhauled package install page.
- A new button for cancelling the downloads.
- iCloud Profile Pictures on Featured Page.
- New button under package depictions for navigating to that repo.
- Alert for adding dist repos with special handlers for BigBoss and Procursus.
- Featured page now supports Canister.
- Improved trackpad support and support for cmdR and cmd + on the Sources Page.
- Change language from inside Sileo.
- Set up a wish list for installed packages.
- Sort by size the installed packages.
- Holding on a file location in Package Contents gives you the option to Copy Path and Open in Filza.
- Each repo comes with an Installed Packages category.
- Add Footer in Sources page with source count.
- Added option to always show install log.
- Improved error messages and handling.
- 3 new app icons.
Are there any improvements in performance?
As far as performance improvement is concerned, the development team has rewritten several of the core parts of Sileo thereby giving the users a much smoother experience as compared to the previous versions. Some of the major performance improvements are the following.
- Faster repo refreshes.
- Faster queue load time.
- No glitches in the user interface.
- Less memory usage.
What are the bug fixes?
Referring the user feedback from the previous versions, the Sileo development team, in Sileo v 2.2, has got almost all the major bugs fixed. Following is a list for your reference.
- Any updates on a package reflects the correct installed package count.
- Canister comes with a reduced network usage.
- Fix Sources View Page opening to a blank view.
- Cache for Download/Image comes with an improved garbage collection.
- Every repo is not refreshed on adding another.
- Fix version, in some cases, reflecting Unknown.
- Fix the issue of images coming up as blank when revisiting the app after 24 hours.
- Reduced loading time and a smooth user experience with the new page.
- Removed 3D recognizer to package button, just hold the modify button to downgrade.
- Sharing Packages is now more useful.
- Sileo will now install Recommends for packages from bootstrap repos.
- Fix device storage is full error when refreshing repos.
[Update*] Download Latest Sileo 0.8b8 [0.8 Beta 8] for iOS 12
Lately, the development team behind Sileo announced on Twitter the availability of latest Sileo 0.8 Beta 8. The release is available to download now. However, please note that since this is a pre-release/beta release, you can expect bugs/errors in the application. If you wish to download Sileo 0.8 Beta 8 on your iOS device, follow the below steps:
- Users utilizing jailbroken devices can download the latest Sileo beta from the repository of Electra team via Cydia.
- Users with non-jailbroken devices can download the latest Sileo beta at electrarepo64.coolstar.org/ipas.
Going by the words of the tweet, the following are the changes in the latest Sileo 0.8 Beta 8.
- APT has been updated to 1.7.4, some minor UI issues were fixed, and Sileo now detects and attempts to recover from dpkg being interrupted.
- APT 1.7.4 build has 1 less patch on top of the upstream compared to 1.7.2.
Sileo Installation & Download on Non-Jailbreak Users
- You need a Cydia Impactor and Sileo IPA File which we provided above or you can download it from here also.
- Drag and Drop the Sileo IPA file into Cydia Impactor.
- Next, it will ask you to enter Apple ID & Password.
- After that, It automatically starts installing on your device.
What is expected in the future from Sileo Jailbreak Package Manager?
In the future, new features are expected to come up. As of now, the current version is simply a beta preview and a significant lot of features are missing. Developers have promised to update this amazing Cydia alternative periodically and keep it abreast with the user requirements. That was all regarding Sileo from our side. Stay tuned with us for more updates on the same. If you have got any questions to ask, the comments section is always open for you.
Please check the following interesting posts as well:
- Cydia Substrate 0.9.7000 Now Full Support to UnC0ver Jailbreak (Update).
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1.1/12.1: WebKit RegEx Exploit Remote Safari Jailbreak (Update).