All jailbreak enthusiasts know that Cydia Store has been shut down by Jay Saurik. However, it is not the end of Cydia as only the store has been closed and recently Jay Saurik released an update for Cydia Substrate with complete support for UnC0ver Jailbreak. But, for those jailbreak enthusiasts who have been affected by the shutting down of the Cydia Store, finding an alternative has become affirmatory. Lately, Coolstar, the developer of Electra Jailbreak, has released the first public version of Sileo, which is a cool new Cydia alternative.
It can be considered as a modern alternative to Cydia. According to the Electra team, Sileo is quick and lightweight and is a perfect replacement for Saurik’s Cydia which has grown quite old by now. In this post, we are going to share with you the steps to download and install this amazing Cydia alternative on your jailbroken iPhone/iPad.
SILEO VS CYDIA
While the functionality of both is the same, the way that functionality is executed is completely different. This is what makes Sileo much better than Cydia.
- As compared to Cydia, the speed of loading tweaks and packages is much faster in Sileo.
- Sources are refreshed, almost, instantly in with the new ‘repo-uncluttered’ functionality.
- The user interface of is clean and neat looking. It, almost, gives you the feel of utilizing an application from the official App Store.
Therefore, we can deduce that Sileo is much better than Cydia in certain major aspects. However, before you go and install the same, please note that since this is a beta preview, some features and functionalities might not be present as of now. Bugs are expected in this beta preview.
Can I Install Cydia Alternative Sileo on iOS 12/12.1 or above?
Please note that there is no public jailbreak available for iOS 12 or above. Hence, Sileo, which is a jailbreak package manager, cannot work on iOS devices running on iOS 12 or above. If you find yourself on a webpage that claims to provide the iOS 12 compatible version of Sileo then don’t fall for that as it might be a virus-laden application meant to disrupt the normal functioning of your iOS device.
Requirements for installing Sileo (Cydia Alternative)
There are no special requirements for installing Sileo. All you require is the following:
- iPhone or iPad.
- Compatible iOS firmware.
- Electra Jailbreak or UnC0ver Jailbreak.
Compatible Firmware as of Now:
- 11.4 Beta 1,2, and 3
- 12.2 Beta 1,2 and 3
- Sileo IPA File Download (Non-Jailbreak iOS 12 Users).
Let us now proceed with the download and installation steps of Sileo on iPhone/iPad.
Download & Install Sileo (Cydia Alternative) on iOS 11.0-11.4 Beta 3
Install Sileo on Electra Jailbreak
- Launch Cydia and go to the ‘Sources‘ section.
- Please make your way to ‘Electra iOS Utilities‘ which is the default repository for Electra Jailbreak.
- Here, you can locate the Sileo(beta) package. Tap on ‘Install‘ and wait for the installation to complete. Thereafter, please tap on ‘Restart Springboard.’
- That’s it! The icon of the Sileo Jailbreak package manager will be present on the home screen of your iOS device now.
Install Sileo on UnC0ver Jailbreak
- Launch Cydia and make your way to Sources.
- Please tap on Edit -> Add and enter the URL of Pixel Omer’s repository which is http://www.pixelomer.com/repo.
- Now, via the Search tab please look for ‘Sileo Installer.’ With the aid of this package, you can utilize Cydia along with Sileo without any issues.
- Please tap on ‘Install‘ and press ‘Confirm‘ for the installation to start.
- After the installation is over, please tap on ‘Restart Springboard.’
- Now, you can run the Sileo jailbreak package manager from your device’s home screen.
[Update*] Download Latest Sileo 0.8b8 [0.8 Beta 8] for iOS 12
Lately, the development team behind Sileo announced on Twitter the availability of latest Sileo 0.8 Beta 8. The release is available to download now. However, please note that since this is a pre-release/beta release, you can expect bugs/errors in the application. If you wish to download Sileo 0.8 Beta 8 on your iOS device, follow the below steps:
- Users utilizing jailbroken devices can download the latest Sileo beta from the repository of Electra team via Cydia.
- Users with non-jailbroken devices can download the latest Sileo beta at electrarepo64.coolstar.org/ipas.
Going by the words of the tweet, the following are the changes in the latest Sileo 0.8 Beta 8.
- APT has been updated to 1.7.4, some minor UI issues were fixed, and Sileo now detects and attempts to recover from dpkg being interrupted.
- APT 1.7.4 build has 1 less patch on top of the upstream compared to 1.7.2.
Sileo Installation & Download on Non-Jailbreak Users
- You need a Cydia Impactor and Sileo IPA File which we provided above or you can download it from here also.
- Drag and Drop the Sileo IPA file into Cydia Impactor.
- Next, it will ask you to enter Apple ID & Password.
- After that, It automatically starts installing on your device.
What is expected in the future from Sileo Jailbreak Package Manager?
In the future, new features are expected to come up. As of now, the current version is simply a beta preview and a significant lot of features are missing. Developers have promised to update this amazing Cydia alternative periodically and keep it abreast with the user requirements. That was all regarding Sileo from our side. Stay tuned with us for more updates on the same. If you have got any questions to ask, the comments section is always open for you.
Please check the following interesting posts as well:
- Cydia Substrate 0.9.7000 Now Full Support to UnC0ver Jailbreak (Update).
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1.1/12.1: WebKit RegEx Exploit Remote Safari Jailbreak (Update).