This is alarming news for Apple FaceTime users. Eavesdropping or a kind of spy bug has been recently identified specifically in Apple’s Group FaceTime feature. Due to this FaceTime bug, anybody who is calling you on FaceTime can hear audio from your end even if you do not lift the call. Moreover, you won’t even have the slightest hint that the other person is able to hear your audio.
Discovered by Twitter user Benji Mobb, the FaceTime spy bug is probably one of the biggest blunders committed by Apple. As of now, Apple has taken Group FaceTime offline in an attempt to address the issue at the earliest.
There exists another part to this goof-up through which your video can be exposed as well. The bug is believed to impact any pair of iOS devices which are running on iOS 12.1 or later. With Apple, remotely disabling the Group FaceTime feature, as of now, the bug is contained. According to Apple representatives, they will issue an update to fix the bug later this week. @pwn20wnd, the developer of UnC0ver Jailbreak was quick to state that once a jailbreak for iOS 12-12.1.1 is available, the bug can be patched and the Group FaceTime feature can be re-enabled by using a Cydia Substrate extension.
How the FaceTime Eavesdropping Bug Works?
The FaceTime Spy Bug works in the following fashion:
- The person who intends to spy on you will call on your FaceTime.
- At the same time, while the call is still going, he/she will swipe from the bottom of the screen and using the ‘Add Person’ feature, they will add their own phone number in the screen.
- This will start a group FaceTime call and will include you as well and your audio, even if you have not accepted the FaceTime call. On your UI, the device will still be ringing, however, on the caller’s UI you would have joined the group chat.
- The person can also access your camera for a brief period if you press the power and volume buttons to reject the incoming FaceTime call.
This is particularly harmful if the device is lying stationary as the person who intends to spy can listen to the audio for a longer duration.
Do You Need to Worry About the FaceTime Spy Bug?
As mentioned in the beginning, Apple has remotely disabled the Group FaceTime feature. Therefore, even if a person with an intention of spying will call you, he/she won’t be able to add his/her number in the call. Hence, you needn’t worry about the FaceTime spy bug. Stay tuned with us and we will let you know immediately as and when Apple releases a patch to fix the Group FaceTime bug.
Fix FaceTime Spy Bug
- Immediately try the best alternatives to FaceTime like WhatsApp, IMO, Google Duo, Facebook Messenger, Skype and, any other alternatives.
Fix it by Cydia Substrate Patch(Officially: The FaceTime bug can be patched with a Cydia Substrate extension. Apple already remotely disabled the vulnerable feature so you are safe for now.)
- Upgrade to iOS 12.2 Beta avoid this mess.
These things are there to fix this irritating issue as of now, will update you more if we any other best fixed for this FaceTime Spy Bug.
Please check the following posts as well:
- iOSGods App – No Jailbreak Apps Store to get Tweaked Apps & Games.
- ElecTh0rRemover – Remove UnC0ver & Electra Jailbreak with One Click.